don't be a blabbermouth!

as much as i try, i will never understand people. i used to think i had the ability to read people well, and at times i still think i can, but other times, i'm just blown out of the water. the most frustrating is when you think you know someone and they do something that is just, well, what you would never expect from them. like having loose lips. for me, that is one of the worst traits. people just seem to lack discression. either that, or they just don't care about other people. whatever it is, i'm not a fan.

for a while now i have had a friendship with a guy i worked with. eveything was innocent enough and i never felt he was going to try anything or cross the line with things. well i made the mistake of mentioning him to a girlfriend who immediately ran with what i had told her and took things completly the wrong way, which i thought was odd, as there was nothing at all going on with him whatsoever.

i saw him at work a lot, but didn't really seek him out. rather, we would run into each other or occasionally, he would seek me out. but, he knew i was married and he had a girlfriend, so i never thought twice about it. evidently, my girlfriend thought otherwise. but, i never caught on to that as she was friendly with a lot of people, including this particular guy. we would have lunch together at times ~ always with other people ~ and occasionally i would run into him at starbucks, but that was it. he would text me on occasion, but i would mostly ignore him. i wasn't being naiive to anything, i just didn't want to play along with him.

he was so full of himself, he never noticed. he loved talking about himself, and that got old with me real fast. anyhow, a few weeks ago he sent me a few racy texts about his feelings for me. i thought they were funny, as i have never, ever led him to believe i liked him. i'm not even remotely attracted to him. anyhow, i showed one of the texts to my girlfriend, who went nuts. she wanted to confront him. i told her to leave it alone.

in the previous few weeks he had told her how unhappy he was with his girlfriend. he had told me the same and i told him if he was that unhappy, he should move on. but, he's very egotistical and couldn't imagine ever being without a woman in his life, so he wanted to stay with her until he found someone else. whatever. it wasn't my deal, so i didn't really care. a few months ago he had told me he had cheated on his girlfriend with another gal we worked with. to each their own, i told him. i think he wanted me to be impressed, but i wasn't. in confidence i had told my girlfriend about his actions. she was disgusted with him but it never occoured to me that she would do anything about it. after all, he's just a guy we worked with, not any sort of close friend.

but, his girlfriend also worked with us ~ we were all in different departments ~ and my friend felt sorry for her. it wasn't my business, so i didn't really care. this guy was really arrogant and so immature. he annoyed me and i wasn't a fan in the least. at one point i had asked him why, if he was so unhappy, was he still with his girlfriend. his reply was one i already knew ~ she was good in bed. great. since my friend and i had already speculated as much, as a dummy, i told her what he had said.

last week, my friend and the girlfriend ran into each other. now mind you, my friend and i barely know the girl. i mean, i would wave hello, and that's about all the interaction i have EVER had with her. my friend may have had a little more interaction, but i doubt it. at any rate, she decided it was high time to tell her all about her boyfriend. i guess she confronted the girlfriend and told her how he talked about other girls, had cheated on her and so on. the girlfriend burst into tears and wanted to know more. then my friend told her i would call her and fill her in on everything else. WTF?! my friend called me when she left the gym ~ i was home sick, without a voice ~ and left me several 'emergency' messages. when i finally called her and she spilled her guts, i was shocked. i could not believe she took it upon herself to confront the girlfriend and tell her things she was told in confidence by me. then she had the audacity to tell the girlfriend that i would call and tell her everything else. um...no. i most certainly will not. it is none of my business. i am not her friend. i do not know her. it's not my place to tell her about her boyfriend.

i met my friend today for coffee. she asked me if i had talked to the girlfriend. when i told her i had not, she asked me if it was because i couldn't handle it, which shocked me. i told her i felt it was not my place to interfer in their relationship and that i would not be calling her. i said if i happened to run into the girlfriend and the girlfriend approached me, i might shed light on to a few things, but only if she asks. i kept trying to emphasize that it was not my place. i was still so shocked that she had betrayed my confidence to tell some girl that we don't even know about her boyfriend's indiscressions.

why can't people just keep their mouths shut? why don't people mind their own business? why do people thrive on drama? i HATE drama. i stay out of it as much as i can. yes, i know i was being a gossip by telling my friend things that the boy told me. but i never in a million years expected her to tell the girlfriend. it's sad. i'm really dissapointed. i feel like i can never say anything to her without thinking she may go tell someone. the worst part is that she doesn't even think she did anything wrong. i can only shake my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home