what's in a name?

this is totally the year of the baby. so many of my friends are having little ones, it's hard to keep track! it makes sense, though, since we all started settling down a few years ago, that this would happen.

i have always been against having children myself, even before i met hubby. now, i have a tiny kernal of want. it's been growing bigger and bigger since i saw photos of my friend's baby a while ago. but that being said, it's only a kernal. as soon as i go somewhere and see screaming children, that kernal dissapears. same goes for thinking of a kid being left with my in-laws.

anyhow, i'm always interested in how people pick their children's names. i have friends who knew right away what they would name it, and others who had no clue. some used favorite characters in books or films, others used family names.

some friends kept the names they picked a secret until the birth, others told as soon as they figured it out.

this has got me thinking what names i like and don't like. here's my list of names i do like (i don't want to offend anyone by listing those i don't like):

girls
emily
kathryn
grace
sophia
jaclyn
boys
jackson
christopher
jeremy
colin
evan

what about you? what names do you like? and would you tell the name you picked right away or wait until your child was born?

8 Comments:

  1. Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...
    Gracie was the only name I had picked out when I was pregnant with my first. There were no back-up girl names, and no boy names at all. I was certain.

    With Eva, I only knew what her middle name would be (Dean, for my husband's grandfather who died while I was carrying her.) I settled on Eva after reading Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich. There's this wonderful scene where Eva is racing her young son through a field, wearing a skirt and high heels. The scene describes beautifully the mixture of strength and beauty, of responsibility and fun. So Eva it was. Of course, once she could talk, she was calling herself "Evie". And that's cool, too.

    I think you'll find these souls, should you choose each other, will be a lot easier to love than other people's kids - even when they're screaming. ;)
    Anonymous said...
    Colin?!?!?!?!?!

    omg. i am totally telling!!!

    wot???
    maddie said...
    oh, maggie. that's so beautiful. and i love that she calls herself evie.

    omg, white bear. you crack me up. at the same time, i'm listening to 'secret lovers'. wot!?
    Valley Girl said...
    I'm either naming my future daughter Chloe, or I'm giving her a boy's name. I love girls who have male names. So cute.
    Gina said...
    I had an idea of what I would name my son until that darned husband of mine decided to have his say. I also think you have to look at your last name and make sure it "goes" if you know what I mean.
    *~*Cece*~* said...
    When I was chosing names for my first I wanted something that could not be broken down into a nickname, the way mine did. You know Cece came from Cecelia. And I also go by Ces, Cesy, Celia. You name it.

    So I picked Corrina thinking How you gonna break that down! My dad did it the day she came home. She now goes by Corrie. Then keeping up with the girl having a boys nickname my sister named her daughter Alexis and she goes by Alex. Finally my little one is Danielle. Can you think of what she goes by? lol Yup. Dannie.

    For middle names nothing special w/my eldest. My niece was give my middle name & my baby was named after the English version of my MIL as her middle name.

    Phew! Glad I'm done having kids!
    Terry said...
    I would totally keep everything a secret....I would not know the sex and I would have 2 names picked out and possibly name the child something completely different after it is born.. That is what happened to me.. I was prenamed Kimberly or Randy.... But as you see, neither one made the final cut...

    I love the name Sarah...
    shoeaddict said...
    My 1st girl (who hasn't been born) has been named Isabella for about 7 years. It "goes" with our last name and my hubs likes it, too. We picked it together... Boy names are harder with him.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home