cross your fingers!

i just took a big step towards finding out a little more about myself. i registered on an adoption search website. i was adopted when i was six weeks old, on halloween, no less. i don't have any information on where i came from except that i was born in downtown los angeles, near tommy's (a fantastic chilly burger joint). aside from my birthdate and the name of the hospital where i was born, i know nothing else.

california has some of the most extreme adoption laws and my records were sealed as soon as the adoption was finalized. even while working for legislators in the state capitol, there was nothing i could do to open my records. anything less than a court order wouldn't make things budge. but that sounds easy enough, right? wrong. in order to get said court order, i would have to have my parents and a los angeles county judge sign the order. i have battled with my mother for years on this. she gives me this whole drawn out i-don't-love-her-anymore deal because i want to know where i came from. she will even go so far as to say there is nothing wrong with her ~ when i tell her i want to find out for medical reasons ~ and that i shouldn't worry about it. ummm...right. i know she means well, but really? we're not blood related, so it doesn't matter if she feels well!

i have searched and searched for places to get some answers, but so many of them sound like scams or just cost entirely too much. somehow i found a site that may work and signed up. i sent an email asking what to expect and how much to expect the searching to cost. i'm willing to pay a fair amount, but i don't want to be taken to the cleaners. as my birthday approaches, i'm hoping that this shot in the dark finally leads into a sliver of light.

4 Comments:

  1. Sally said...
    Oh, I'm so excited for you as take this step! I hope you get some answers quickly. Let me know how it goes -- who knows, maybe one day B will follow in your footsteps...especially if he hears a successful story.
    Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...
    Wowe, I wish you luck with this! My best friend growing up was adopted and when she decided to have kids she went and sought out her birth parents. Met the mom, decided when they met all she wanted from her was a medical history and they haven't spoken again. I know her mom and dad were dying through the whole process, but so relieved to hear the results, know she considers her only real parents are them, and now she's a new mommy.

    Gosh I write some novels, don't I? Well good luck my dear! :-) I am excited about this prospect and hope it works out!
    Anonymous said...
    kewl new blog interface...i think. lots of room for ad space, which once you get mega-pop, will basically end your money worries.

    Hey i know some dudes who like,
    do research...

    heypooooooooolia & associates.

    call me or email me if you want
    us to look into this adoption thing and if you want us to
    crack-a-fool.

    i can be reached at:

    www.dontwoooooryaboutit.com

    Call me, star.

    or dont. yuk yuk.

    ps - very kewl pix from your recent trip btw. i of course have not forgotten what a total shwergen you are, but it was nice to see the up-to-date pix.

    i looked carefully to see if you still had IT in the eyes, the bright fiery passionate look you always flashed around club 21, despite getting a few fastballs aimed at your head recently at work and in life.

    and you definitely still do. when you talk about macking with your galpalz, i need a nappy. kin that is. wot?

    aaaaanyhooo...

    just keep fightin, no matter what. its not a sin to get knocked down by life. the sin is not getting up.
    Terry said...
    G is adopted, and has only expressed a slight interest in finding his birth parents... Good luck with all this jazzz!!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home