apropos of nothing.

i hung out with one of my best friends this afternoon. it was fantastic. she came over late morning and stayed until late afternoon. i don't get to see her all that often because she lives a aways away. though we talk all the time, it just isn't the same as seeing her. she arrived and we talked for a bit before heading out to eat. i was craving a burger ~ big surprise ~ so we went to the local cafe. upon entering, we discovered they had brunch still going. she got spiced pumpkin pancakes and i got bacon, tomato and avocado eggs benedict. omg. they were soo good. for desert i had a frapachino type drink. sooo delicous. good thing my new next-size-up jeans had arrived on friday, because after that meal, boy did i need them!

as soon as our plates of deliciousness were set in front of us, she reached over and ate some potatoes off my plate. we both giggled as we inhaled our food. i loved that she just ate my food without asking. when my frapachino came, i slid it over for her to taste and she drank right out of the straw without hesitation. while that may sound silly that i enjoy that, those small things make me so happy. to me, that's what true friendship is all about. i shouldn't have to ask my friend for a fry or a sip of her drink and neither should she with me. it's called sharing. and besides. it's fun.

later when the bill came, i grabbed it first. she stated to complain, but then i told her she could just buy me something later. she laughed and said okay. i know next time she'll pick up the bill so everything will just come around like it always does. i would much rather go back and forth on things like that with my friends rather than counting out each penny. it's too anal that way for me. besides. there's more to life than money.

but i can't do that with all my friends. i only really do that with a small handful of friends. the others we go dutch on because they tend to cause a fuss or i end up paying too much. i honestly don't mind paying for things, but when it turns out i am paying the majority of the time, it gets old. fast. when i decide to pay, it's because i genuinely want to, not because i feel i have to. when i start feeling like i have to pay, i stop hanging out with that friend. i don't like feeling taken advantage of. or for that matter, being taken advantage of.

anyhow, i love my girlfriend and am so glad she came to visit me today. next time i'll go visit her and she can pay for lunch. maybe she'll take me to crepeville for banana and nutella crepes. mmmmm.

3 Comments:

  1. Sally said...
    Yum - banana and nutella, that sounds good!

    I think you and I have talked about the check thing before. One of the nice things out here is that they will willingly split the check for you, so it's no hassle to figure out how much everyone owes. Or, a lot of times, I'll just say, let's split it down the middle - even if it's not completely even.

    For some reason, I end up with anxiety over the checks...what if I forget I owe my friend, or what if we don't go out together again for a long time. It's silly, but I don't want my friend to feel like I owe them, but they can't tell me. That's why I'd just rather split it down the middle at the end of each meal. I guess I don't want some silly thing like money to add uneasiness to a friendship. =)
    Gina said...
    I suck at dividing the bill properly. Usually I'd just rather pay for the whole thing.
    maddie said...
    sally, i understand where you're coming from. i really do. it totally depends who i'm with. if it's someone i don't know very well or who rarely pays, i'll split the bill. otherwise, it's no big deal for me to pay. it'll come around eventually.

    gina, i TOTAlLY suck at dividing up, which is why i tend to pay more than not. it's much less fussy that way.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home