suffering.

since i have been feeling extra squirrley these days, i decided it was time to watch some other folks who were having troubles as well. as i was watching this show last night i was hit with a sense of sorrow for sylvia. watching her made me realize, again, what a mess i was when i was drinking. as i was so often in a blackout, i didn't always know what i was doing or how i was acting. while the desire to drink has not gone away, i have been keeping strong. the past few days have been especially hard on me and i'm not really sure why. nothing has been provoking me, i'm just feeling that insatiable need for a drink. a voice inside my head says, "go ahead. have a drink. no one will know." but i can't. and won't. for if i do, i will surely spiral out of control to an oblivion that i want no part of.

there are people who say i should "turn my will and life over to the god of my undertanding" and while that's all good and fine, i am a firm believer in myself. i work hard for everything i achieve and damn it, i'm sober because of me, not because of a higher power. it's me that's not taking that drink. it's me that's drinking coffee right now to fight of that strong desire. it's me that's going to have a smoke soon. sure, i want enlightenment, but i really don't think something out there will stop me from drinking. maybe i'm just some big nonbeliever, but damn it. why don't people ever admit that they can do things themself without giving a higher power all the credit?

5 Comments:

  1. Sarrah October Young said...
    Good for you for not giving in and also for recognizing that it is your own hard work that got you to where you are now, standing proudly and surveying your many accomplishments. Don't you dare give up now!
    Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...
    I give you a ton of credit for giving up drinking, and even more credit for blogging about it. When you speak something out loud, it loses some of it's power, don't you think? Stay strong.
    maddie said...
    october! you're back! :)

    thanks to both of you and maggie. i had to smokes today and a bunch of coffee. i don't now what it is and it's driving me nuts. sigh.
    Gina said...
    I hope things get easier for you. And I agree, you should take all the credit for your hard work!
    Gypsy said...
    That show is fascinating. I hope you're able to keep staying strong. {hugs}

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home