today is the first sunday of advent. i grew up catholic, but have since stepped away from the church. while there are many things i enjoy about catholicism, especially all the traditions, i often have trouble with so much of the fire and brimstone that seems to be everywhere. i am more spiritual than anything else and try hard to find my inner peace. i believe in so many things that i can't put my beliefs in one religious basket.

that all being said, i still find so much joy at christmas time and am always brought back to my happy memories, most of which include the church. growing up, my mom made a beautiful advent wreath with pinecones, berries and 4 red candles. we also had several advent calendars that i would open each day of december. our house was decorated in more of a german traditional style than american and i try to emanate that in my own home. a few years ago my mom sent me an advent wreath like the one at she has and last year i found the same carousel she has.hubby and i got down our christmas boxes yesterday and we're going to decorate the house today. i was still hurting too much yesterday to be of much help, so we decided to wait until today.



hubby got up super early to go hunting while i slept with the kitties. at around 7:30 this morning, our power went out, which was great, as it was only in the mid 30's. so that mean no heat and most sadly, no coffee. i hung out with the cats, who still haven't left my side and cuddled until the power went back on, shortly after 9 am. i guess the power has been going out more and more recently as we have an enormous flock of starling birds who have taken to landing on the electrical wires all at the same time and flying off at the same time which causes the power wires to pop and cut all power. it's quite eerie to see them flying around all together. it's like being in the birds.

well, i'm off to do a little christmas shopping with my mil. she called a few minutes ago to see if i wanted to go for a bit and since i haven't really been out of the house since my accident, i think that it's good that i get out. it will be my first time driving, so a little jaunt into town will be good for me. like a test run for going to work for tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  1. WendyB said...
    I'm sorry, but I immediately thought of a police officer saying, "Ma'am...step AWAY from the church. Keep your hands where I can see them." Damn! I watch too much Law & Order.
    A Girl, A Boy, and Me said...
    I love Advent. I'm Lutheran (Californai contemproary style, lol)and the Advent service is just beautiful - I look forward to it all year. It's always very small and just feels different.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home