my biggest pet peves of all time is bad grammar. i absolutely detest bad grammar. it makes me cringe. it hurts my eyes. it makes my pulse race and my palms sweat. now, i'm all about writing in context, especially when trying to get certain points across, but seriously? there is no excuse for bad grammar. and while i know that i have bad spelling, i do try awfully hard to make sure my grammar is accurate and that what i am trying to say is clear and concise.


i also cannot stand when people use texting words in their normal writing. if you are on a cell phone, fine. if you are on a keyboard, it is totally unacceptable to write anything less than the normal word.


some most annoying examples:


ur = your or you're

r = are

u = you

2day = today

4 = for

2nite = tonight


and really? is it that hard to write a sentence and place a period at the end rather than a question mark? question marks are only meant for questions, not for statements!
some of the worst offenders are people that i work with. the work documents that go out and the emails that are sent are simply atrocious. does no one care? surely they must know they are writing like crap. how can they not care? *sigh*

* to buy this and other swell shirts, go here.

3 Comments:

  1. Terry said...
    Okay, Little Miss Grammar Guru... How about when you are making a statement that should be common knowledge, but others do not grasp the concept.. I generally like to put a !? on the end of it, kind of like saying WTF.... hee hee hee.. I know, I know, it is not grammatically correct, but I think it serves my purpose very well.. I am totally with you on the annoying use of text abbreviations in everyday writing.....

    and I do love me a bunch a periods at the end of a sentence, almost like a dramatic pause.... :)

    Can we still be friends?
    maddie said...
    yes, we can be friends because you know how to use punctuation. adding !? is totally acceptable, especially when saying wtf!? and so are adding ellipses.

    writing a statement and ending it with a question mark is just lame?

    haq haq haq
    Gypsy said...
    A woman after my own heart. :)

    And hey, ?! is actually correct punctuation. It's called an interrobang.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home